MEMBERS' SUPPORT FOR LEARNING MUSIC
THE SPRIG OF THYME by John Rutter
This concert program will include other short music pieces.
The singingpractice files are, unfortunately, only accessible on PC. We are trying to work out a solution to being able to access them on ipad/phone etc.
These links play the songs with synthesised ‘orchestral’ accompaniment.
Note that you can, if you prefer, set a piano accompaniment.
The tracks are best heard with earphones or headphones, which should play your part through the right phone.
PERFORMANCES ON YOU-TUBE
These tracks are from the recording by Rutter’s own group, the Cambridge Singers.
1. The bold grenadier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuel9JPM47o
2. The keel row https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-efR764bH7o
3. The willow tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyFWqTU7io0
4. The sprig of thyme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQe9tn_DyzU
5. Down by the sally gardens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoDA3E4DiNw
6. The cuckoo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN097k7xZR8
7. I know where I’m going https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VJ0Exf20A
8. Willow song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG2f_qhOxBo
9. O can ye sew cushions? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNarkrUIQy8
10. The miller of Dee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJgbrY4kY0
11. Afton water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaJQ0rFsolA
SOME GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS ON USING CHORAL LEARNING WEBSITES
Please use all learning sites in compliance with Australian copyright law.
This site offers synthetic voices singing the words, so that you hear where the syllables come. This also makes it easier to get the rhythms correct.
Select VS tab if you are using a microsoft PC and you will be able to use tempo and volume controls. For MAC, iPad and iPhone you will only be able to use the mp3 tab and will not be able to control the tempo.
Scroll down to your part (e.g. soprano2) and the movement you want to practise.
Then click the speaker in the column you want:
a) your own part with keyboard (left column)     OR
b) all parts, with your part louder (middle column)     OR
c) all parts at the same volume (right column)
When the forward arrow (top box) turns bright blue, click it.
NB: You can use this site online as often as you wish. However, if you want to download files to burn a CD, please note the detailed licence conditions on
This is a very clear piano version. If you click on your own part (rather than Tutti) you'll hear it amplified above the other parts. Tutti plays all parts together at the same volume.
You are free to use the online links as many times as you like under the terms of Cyberbass licensing arrangements with the composer. Some browsers will allow you to change the tempo of the music. Scroll further down the Cyberbass page and you will find the links to do this. This is useful in slowing down the music for learning purposes.